- 1 pound Chicken tenders or boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/ 2-by-3- inch strips
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Medium onion, diced (about 1 cup
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans Black eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 4 ounce Can chopped green chiles
- 2 teaspoons Ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Pure chile powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 3 cups Water, plus more if needed
- 2 cups Grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons Chopped fresh cilantro
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add the chicken pieces and cook, stirring, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium-high and add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the beans, corn, chiles, spices, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
2. Add more water, ½ cup at a time, if the chili is too thick. When the chili is done, taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Ladle the chili into bowls and top each serving with a spoonful of cheese and a sprinkling of cilantro.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and position a rack in the middle. Butter an 8-inch-square baking pan.
Melt the butter in the microwave in a microwave-safe dish in three 15-second intervals on high or in a small pan on the stove. Set it aside to cool.
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and the eggs. Add the melted butter. Add the flour-cornmeal mixture and stir just until combined. Pour the batter into the pan. Bake until the cornbread just begins to brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 23 minutes. Cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Photographs by Yunhee Kim
Recipe courtesy Cat Cora for Food Network Magazine